Sunday, November 7, 2010

Psalm 145 and Memorization

 We will be working on memorizing Psalm 145 as a family. I think it is such a good way to tune our hearts to Hashem and His Word. This Psalm is part of the Mincha prayers and one of my personal favorites.
I often think about how we sometimes without hesitation memorize all sorts of things that interest us like music lyrics for instance. But when it comes to the Word of G-d, we don't seem to have the same willingness; sometimes reasoning that it's too difficult.
Some time ago, I remember going to the library with my kids to supplement their reading. One of my kids decided to get a Ripley's Believe It or Not!  Book. After reading through it a while he shared with me with great amazement about a person that had memorized incredible amounts of books by heart. While I can't recall the name of the man who broke this record, I do remember one thing. The man was a Rabbi that had memorized the Torah along with several other works related to the Jewish faith. The love and dedication this Rabbi had are just amazing to me.
I hope we can learn a lesson from this. If we set our minds to it we could memorize more than we actually think we can. If we love His Word, than it should motivate us to learn it by heart. When I find myself having to make decisions in life, I often recall G-d's Word, and it guides my way. This brings to mind the Psalm 119 -"Oh how love I thy Law, it is my meditation all the day,". If His Word is in our hearts constantly than we'll be able to meditate on it throughout our days. 
     1. I shall exalt You, my G-d the King, and I shall bless Your name forever and ever.
2. Every day I shall bless you, and I shall praise Your name forever and ever.
3. The L-rd is great and very much praised, and His greatness cannot be searched.
4. Generation to generation will praise Your works, and they will recite Your mighty deeds.
5. Of the majesty of the glory of Your splendor and the words of Your wonders I shall speak.
6. And the strength of Your awesome deeds they will tell, and Your greatness I shall sing.
7. Of the remembrance of Your abundant goodness they will speak, and of Your righteousness they will sing.
8. The L-rd is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and of great kindness.
9. The L-rd is good to all, and His mercies are on all His works.
10.        All your works will thank You, O L-rd, and Your pious ones will bless You.
11.        They will tell the glory of Your kingdom, and they will speak of Your might.
12.        To make known to the children of men His mighty deeds and the glory of the majesty of his kingdom.
13.        Your kingdom is a kingdom of all times, and Your ruling is in every generation.
14.        The L-rd supports all those who fall and straightens all who are bent down.
15.        Everyone’s eyes look to You with hope, and You give them their food in its time.
16.        You open Your hand and satisfy every living thing [with] its desire.
17.        The Lord is righteous in all His ways and kind in all His deeds
18.         The L-rd is near to all who call Him, to all who call Him with sincerity.
19.        He does the will of those who fear him, and He hears their cry and saves them.
20.        The L-rd guards all who love Him, and He destroys all the wicked.
21.        My mouth will speak the praise of the L-rd, and all flesh will bless His holy name forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment