Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas Story

Since today is the Holocaust Memorial Day I thought it a good day for a post on The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I can't exactly recall how long ago, but my daughter asked if we could watch the movie, by this title. We couldn't find the movie, at our local movie rental place, and were disappointed after looking in several places. On one of our visits to the library, while browsing through the new selections, I noticed a blue striped book. Upon closer inspection I came to the realization that it was the story of  The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Naturally, I checked it out for my daughter who had been asking for the movie. I told my daughter to read the book, and we'd get the movie, on the first opportunity we could.

The story is about a boy who befriends another boy, about the same age, under peculiar circumstances. The friend he makes is on the other side of a long and tall fence. Over the fence, he notices a group of people who seem to always be wearing their pyjamas usually accompanied by soldiers, which happen to be under his father's command. Puzzled by the strangeness of several things he notices, of the secrecy about the subject and other odd things, he decides to investigate the matter. This story takes you through many questions and new findings as seen from the perspective of this young innocent child.

The end of the story, I won't give away. However, after both reading the book and watching the movie, both my daughter and I thought the book was the much better option. If you haven't seen this movie, or read the book, I would definitely recommend it. This novel is a good way to study about the holocaust tragedy and it's horrible effects on humanity.

1 comment: