Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Bit of Schooling Here and There



As I had mentioned before, we are trying to get back to doing homeschooling more regularly after the birth of my baby girl. While some days are pretty good and we get the work done, others are rather slow and we hardly accomplish what I'd like. In such cases, I like to get a little creative and spontaneous about choosing what to study, things not necessarily found within our basic curriculum at the time. Our basic curriculum consists of workbooks purchased from Christian Light. They are very practical and require very little lesson prep time in my opinion. The kids seem to do well working independently and can do the work, for the most part, without my help. I do however, enjoy sitting with them and going over different topics and subjects. I like to see them learning new things and taking interest in them. Last week, we brought out the old microscope and had a blast using it. The idea was to get them to learn how to use it while learning to identify its parts easily. To make things easier I used a small chalk board in which I drew and labeled a drawing of a microscope and then hung it near our kitchen table. Having it in the kitchen gave me the opportunity to work on preparing lunch as they worked on their schooling at the table. On other occasions our study/library works out better. Within a short time of having drawn the microscope, they had successfully memorized the parts, and were intrigued by the subject of exploration. I was lucky to find and buy a copy of the Scriptures, written in microscopic size, at our local market. I bought a couple for only a dime a piece, which was a deal hard to resist. The kids were amazed to see how such a small copy of the Scriptures could be printed. It was intriguing to all. This was one good day in our home school; and one they're likely to remember well.

No comments:

Post a Comment